What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of data (text files) that are sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your device so that the website can recognize your device. There are two types of cookies, permanent and temporary or “session” cookies. Permanent cookies are stored as a file on your computer or mobile device for a longer period of time. Session cookies are temporarily placed on your computer when you visit our Site, but are erased when you shut down the page.
Other than essential cookies, which are necessary for the functionality of our Site, we only store cookies on your device with your consent. If you do not want to accept cookies, you can adjust the settings in your web browsers security preferences, see more information on this below.
We and our service providers may use the following categories of cookies:
Essential cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary for us to provide our Services. For example, we may use these cookies to distinguish you from other users when listening to and voting on content. Without these cookies we would not be able to recognise you and you would not be able to use our Services.
Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are not strictly necessary, but allow us to personalise your online experience of our Site. For example, they allow us to remember your preferences (e.g. volume levels and favourite channels) and mean that you do not need to re-enter information you have already provided (e.g. when participating in contests). We also use these cookies to collect information (e.g. popular pages, viewing patterns, click-throughs) about our visitors' usage of our Services so that we can improve our Site and Services and conduct market research. If you choose to delete these cookies you will have limited functionality of our Services.
Advertising cookies: These cookies use information about your usage of our Site and other websites, e.g. the pages you visit or your response to ads, to deliver ads that are more tailored to you, both on and off our Site. These types of ads are called “Interest-Based Advertising.” Many of these types of cookies belong to our service providers. For third party advertisers, see more below.
We use the information from cookies to make our Site user-friendly and to enable us to provide you with personalized recommendations. We may also use a number of authorized third parties who put cookies on our Site to deliver services that they provide (third party cookies).
We may use session and persistent cookies/local storage to provide you with various functions on the site. For example to allow you to continue listening where you left off, save your preferred volume level etc.
Permanent and session based cookies are used in a number of ways, including:
- To allow you to move between pages on our Site without having to re-enter information.
- To help us recognize you when you return to our Site to use our Services.
- To allow you access to stored information.
- To allow us to recommend other radio channels, podcasts or content based on your preferences or previous listening behaviour.
- To ensure that you do not get asked to fill in forms repeatedly.
We (and our authorized third parties) may use non-personal information from both permanent cookies and session cookies for statistical purposes as follows:
- To determine which are the most popular parts of our Site.
- To monitor the use of our Services and our Site (frequency and time).
- To provide anonymous information to third parties so that more appropriate advertising can be directed at you.
- To track product success.
- To carry out surveys so that your interaction with our Site and us can improve.
These are some of the cookies we use for the Service:
- ilr.client (stored for one year, essential), used to identify your unique device when listening and voting on songs and other content
- ilr.player.state (stored for one year), used to remember your player preferences and what you were listening to on your last visit
- cookieconsent_status (stored for one year), used to remember that you’ve closed the cookie information bar
- ilr.ads (stored for one year), used to show ads to you with a certain interval
- Session (session), used during a user's visit to be able to distinguish one user from another and keep track of who the user is so they can view the content they are entitled to see.
- History.store (session), used to temporarily remember what pages you have visited recently, to provide you with a good experience
Third Party Cookies
We also use a number of third-party cookies as part of our services. These cookies are governed by the respective sites and are not controlled by us. We have listed some of the third party cookies which we use below, some of which can be switched off using your general browser settings, for others you will need to go to the respective sites and follow the instructions provided.
- Google Analytics - generates statistics about website traffic and traffic sources– to opt-out see here
- AdsWizz – generates statistics about listening and provides audio and display advertisements. For more info and opt out, see here
- Google Doubleclick for Publishers – provides personalized and non-personalized display advertisements. To opt out from personalized ads from Google, see here
- browser-update.org – Used to inform you if your browser is outdated, and then remember your affirmation. To delete, see ‘How do you delete cookies?’ section below
- Pingdom – used to analyze the speed of our site to make your experience even better in the future. To delete, see ‘How do you delete cookies?’ section below
How do you delete cookies?
You can choose whether to accept cookies or not and what type of cookies you want to accept. If you want to know when your computer receives a cookie, you can set your browser to notify you about it. That way you have the option to accept or reject a cookie. Your computer can be set to reject all cookies. If you want to find out how to do this visit aboutcookies.org. Please be aware that changes in your web browser, meaning that the function regarding cookies are disabled, will prevent parts of our Site from functioning properly, including playback. It’s possible to opt out of having your browsing activity within sites recorded by analytics cookies.
This policy was published on 2018-05-24